Change in Mindset, Change in Habit

Recent health issues have pushed me to completely change my diet and how I think about food.  I am not a vegetarian, but have been working more vegetable-focused and fully veggie meals into my regiment. This requires a little creativity, especially for someone who likes full flavors and interesting food.

Veggie harvest mid-July

Luckily, this year I decided to grow some new veggies in my garden.  We have zucchini, swiss chard, kale, basil, thyme, rosemary, patio eggplants, little hot red chilis, banana peppers, sweet peppers, habaneros, and three kinds of tomatoes.  There is also an abundance of dill, which just seeds itself every year and since it attracts butterflies and doesn't really bother anyone (plus tastes delicious in yogurt dip), 
 I let it do its thing.

Along with our little farm in the back yard, we been subscribing to Hungry Harvest veggie deliveries.  All those veggies can get to be a bit much (we just had to cancel a week so we could catch up and have been forced to trash a pair of siamese cucumbers, several potatoes, tomatoes, and lettuces because of having just too much produce to eat).  But I'm giving it my best to make sure I'm being healthy and doing what's best for my body. 
fried egg over southwest succotash, sweet potato hash, and sauteed greens


Some recent meals include a casserole of very thinly sliced red and sweet potatoes, squash, tomatoes, onions, herbs, and a little bit of bacon to tantalize the tastebuds; sweet potato hash; a southwest succotash with black beans, peppers, onions, and zucchini; delicious vegetable and bean soup; fish tacos with a citrus kale slaw; and for the very first time I (shallow) fried falafel.

southwest succotash
fried falafel with veggies and dill yogurt dip

fish tacos with southwest kale mandarin slaw



Cucumber salad (left top) and veggie prep for soup.
So far, since June 26th, I have lost about 14lb. I'm not even trying, and I do "cheat" on my regiment on occasion, though I'm working on doing that less.

I cut back drastically on my eating and drinking habits.  I drink a TON of water throughout the day, and have limited myself to one 16-oz cup of coffee in the morning.  I realize that that's technically two cups of coffee (+) but does anyone ever really drink out of a normal sized mug?
I also limit alcohol, eat very little cheese, and have cut back on meat consumption.  At first, I ate no meat or cheese.  Now the cheese is used sparingly and meat portions are very small, and will mainly be seafood and chicken.

I plan to use this blog to talk about some things that are very important to me: gardening, cooking, and health.  I may even share a few recipes!

Comments

Popular Posts